Projection mapping and Augmented Reality

Projection mapping seems quite an interesting way of creating digital art or a even providing a medium to exploit for a similar purpose. The best way I could describe it is “A series of projections that are mapped to specific areas” or at least that is how I’d simplify it. Examples below can help illustrate the various applications for using this medium, however at present it does seem to be a method used more by artists and the various arts contributors.

HERE I NEED TO TALK ABOUT GOOD POINTS AND BAD POINTS

HOW COULD I USE THIS IN MY PROJECT?

We have also looked at augmented reality very breifly, I guess the best way I can explain it is to put something digital in a physical space. It still doesn’t seem widely availiable in commerical use, but there is the idea that it can be utilized to see what furnature would look like before buying it etc, however there is also other ways that this concept can be used; for example advertising and related media such as holograms from adverts or images on a dvd case. Something that we questioned was the actual real-lie applications of this technology other than seeing a sofa or shelving set built up before buying it. This is where as passing ideas we spoke breifly about how AR could be refined to suit almost any proffession, VR and AR seem to be getting closer in their relation to each other, with the rise of VR headsets such as Oculus or Project Morphius (Sony) the immersion of the user into a digital representation might be the next step.

Google Glass was a concept that would provide AR techniques to the users for everyday use, from this we had a breif talk about how that technology could be used for proffessions that provide complex knowledge of how somehthig works, such as a mechanic or a nurse/surgeon. Both of these proffessions could use this to have a digital layout of a subject, human body, plane electricals etc and this could potentially aid their job buy giving a map of sorts.

However with how amazing I think this technology is, I’m not sure how I could implement this into my work. One passing idea would be to try creating a virtual enviroment through markers with the aid of a headset. However I’m not sure where to even begin with this sort of concept.